16 January 2011

Week 2 in a Single Post

ʻAnoʻai e nā hoa heluehelu,
Greetings readers,

This week has been challenging to keep on track with assignments and to write in English using a “grad student” perspective. As I mentioned last week, sometimes I read articles numerous times.

Reading Retention and Comprehension
Earlier in the week I began using a useful technique taught to me in my study skills class when attending DeAnza College.

After saving all the reading articles to the hard drive, I printed them out. I found that handling and reading paper helps me stay focused. When working all day on the computer and coming home to do the same, I get kinda loopy.

For the technique, I first read the introduction, conclusion, and section titles, numbering all the paragraphs in the left margin. In the right margin I create a question for each paragraph, most times related to the topic sentence. Highlighting the answer to the question also helps with retention.

Normally I would write the questions on index cards with the number and question on the front side, then the answer on the other. I have opted to type out the number/question in a document instead. I believe this is called the SQ3R method.

Keeping on Track
I tried using Backpack, Google Calendar and Task List without much success to keep on track. This week I ended up transferring everything over to Basecamp. The full features of Basecamp for project management and team collaboration are outstanding, but I have found that it can be used just to keep me on track.


Writeboard
For writing, I tried to utilize MacJournal, which I have used in the past to organize and store coding routines. Again, I returned to Basecamp and the use of Writeboard. The version control is such a blessing for me, since I constantly want to change or rearrange what I write.

Overkill
Well, the title has to do with the first assignment for Week 2. The assignment:
2:1 Discuss two of the institutional challenges delineated by Kaminski and Milheim that are likely to be/are/have been important in your online course/program construction. Institutional Challenges in the Creation and Delivery of an Online Degree Program

Okay, I took this to mean, write a paper just like the reading. I worked diligently to summarize my experience during program development and marketing for Nuiākea. Hello. I consciously avoided reading the discussion board posts of my classmates for fear of being influenced. So, after posting my nineteen paragraph piece complete with references I perused the posts. Oh my goodness gracious holy cow! My classmates were posting two paragraphs maybe three! Okay, let us say it together—o v e r k i l l.

Whatever. The exercise turned out to be gratifying to recall those times. We were doing some leading edge stuff that is the standard now. Yay!

Threads, threads, threads!
Anne led us through some exercises in Thread Management. Remember last week when I mentioned that most folks were not paying attention to the exponential growth potential of threads? Well, this exercise made it real. For our exercise example we used the very first group thread in which we introduce ourselves.

20 students posted a total of 102 posts which equaled 30 printed pages of reading. Good thing I saved the pages as a PDF instead of burning that paper. As a student, I focused on reading each student’s introduction. I knew, because our instructor told us, that it could be painful to try and read all the responses as well. As an instructor I could not imagine having to read everything. I wonder if I would? Depends.

From previous experience with Blackboard, I am aware that the “subscribe” feature to discussion threads is invaluable both as a student and instructor. I used it when teaching Aʻo Makua courses to make sure I did not miss a post directed to me. Also, as a facilitator, I had the ability to turn on the subscribe function for students which was defaulted otherwise to off. I would use the “set flag” feature to mark a post that needed a reply, but did not have time to do so immediately. I do this as a teacher and student.

There is a new feature in Blackboard to rate posts with one to five stars . It seems kinda weird, but I would rather have the Facebook “like” button instead. I can show that I have read the post while also acknowledging with a simple click my interest in the post. Needing to evaluate how many stars to give a post just takes too much time in my opinion. If I do give stars, it will always be five—from now on.

Group Project: Team Aloha
At the end of last week, the class was instructed to form teams for a group project. My teammates decided on the name. Fun yeah?!

Sorry this entry is so long, but I saved up a whole week’s worth of experiences.
Blessings to you and yours,
Liko

What Surprised Me the Most
That I submitted something that could be viewed as “Overachiever” material.

What I Liked the Best
Recalling many of the experiences of working at Kīpuka to develop and deliver Nuiākea.

What I Liked the Least
From the readings, it seemed that “constructivism” and learner centered teaching were talking about adult situations, but it is interpreted to be okay for online courses for grade school children. A repetitive theme throughout the readings was the changing role of the teacher to be more of a facilitator. From that statement, for me it does not seem that teachers need to be experts in their field any longer, or have a vested interest in developing curriculum. That is my take right now, but I am open to what the next week will bring.

What to Keep or Change for My Courses
Change: Never assign the use of Group Pages on Blackboard if I can help it.
Keep: Subscribe and Flag features!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for leaving your manaʻo!