05 February 2011

6701 Week 5 - Is it over already?!


After a little more sleep and reflection, the rubric Anne provided for writing the final paper contained all the necessary guidance to produce an “A” product. Creating such a rubric can be challenging however—at least for me. I have found that moving away from the subjective to objective in terms of evaluating written papers is difficult, but invaluable for students.
An interesting discussion amongst classmates piqued my interest regarding the format of the final paper.
“Why does it have to be .rtf?”
“Word is better for formatting, please accept a .doc file.”
“PDF is the widely accepted standard.”

My initial reaction, “What’s the big deal? That is how Anne wants it turned in.” However, Anne revealed the main reason, something I am normally sensitive to. That being, not all students have access to expensive word processing software, so requiring .rtf instead of .doc/.docx/.pdf allows the use of most any word processing program. Ha! I fell right into the “haves” that are ignorant of the “have-nots” scenario. Boo.
I am so grateful for Anne and her roles in this course as an instructor, social director, program manager, and technical assistant.

E mālama mau au i nā haʻawina o nei papa, he kahua nō ia.
I will always care for the lessons from this class, it is definitely a foundation.
 
Me ka ʻoiaʻiʻo,
Liko
 
What Surprised Me the Most

How quickly these past 5 weeks have flown by.


What I Liked the Best
Learning about my own limits, physically and mentally, and the challenge of learning so much so quickly


What I Liked the Least
See "What I Liked the Best."


What to Keep or Change for My Courses

Change: Rubrics for everything, either shared with students or just for myself. 


Change: Add a weekly wrap-up similar to what Anne provides, summarizing the key points from class discussions and assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for leaving your manaʻo!