26 February 2009

Teaching Hawaiian Online

ʻAnoʻai kākou,

Being able to teach ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi is an absolute blessing. I am so grateful to Kumu Hula Kāwika Alfiche for allowing me the opportunity to teach at the Kaululehua Hawaiian Cultural Center in South San Francisco. I am doubly blessed because I also teach for the Aʻo Makua Program, an adult enrichment distance learning program of Hawaiian culture and language. Aʻo Makua is an outreach component of Kamehameha Schools that offers an outstanding amount of short courses (3-4 weeks).


I recently taught the third of three Hawaiian language courses, Kuʻu Wahi Noho. This course focuses primarily on the pepeke henua or locational pattern. I will be facilitating the same course again from April 2-30, 2009. The courses are inexpensive compared to the amount of quality material that is presented.

I will be encouraging my face-to-face students to enroll since I do not teach (read cannot teach) both at the same time. It is also providence that I will be teaching that particular pattern soon in the classroom which can be reinforced by the online course.

From the website about Kuʻu Wahi Noho:

7. ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i: Ku‘u Wahi Noho
4 weeks
Cost: $25.00
Additional: USB Headset with microphone (e.g. Logitech USB 250 or similar)

  • “Ku‘u Wahi Noho ” – Where I live

  • The Ku‘u Wahi Noho papa ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i or Hawaiian language course will focus on the area that you live in.  You will learn sentence patterns and vocabulary that will help you to express your location and the location of special places in your home town.  Learn how to guide someone to your local post-office or to your favorite restaurant.  Course activities will include practice exercises, games, and interactive activities to help you strengthen your language base.

The class is from April 2-30, 2009 with registration closing on March 15, 2009.

Me ka ʻoiaʻiʻo,
Liko

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for leaving your manaʻo!