28 February 2009

Greetings in the Native Language

I recently heard my mother's new voice greeting for her home messaging unit which is mostly in Hawaiian. It begins, "Greetings in the native language, translation to follow." 

That initial sentence cracked me up! But it also made me proud that she is doing her small part to perpetuate 'ōlelo Hawaiʻi. Mom asked me some weeks earlier to provide her with a greeting that would be played for those leaving her a message. I happily obliged and she did a great job!

However, she is somewhat disappointed that she cannot attend my language classes--yet. She no longer drives, in part because of her health but mainly because I am using her car. It is a logistical challenge for me to drive to Fremont, pick her up, teach in South City, then take her home, then head home to Santa Rosa.
(According to Google Maps 249 mi – about 4 hours 25 mins)

I hope to have something worked out soon.

Until then, "Greetings in the native language, translation to follow."

E nā hoa ē, aloha mai kākou!
Dear friends, greetings to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for leaving your manaʻo!