23 February 2009

Aloha in the Workplace

ʻAnoʻai kākou,

Today I remarked how a little aloha in the workplace goes a long way. When moving back to the SF Bay Area after living in Hilo for almost ten years, some Hawaiʻi customs were difficult to change. Especially at my new job!

I have to dress professionally everyday, wearing long pants and shoes to work. While in Hilo I could occasionally wear shorts and slippahs-- okay, perhaps more than occasionally, needing to dress up only when the situation deemed it necessary. Sure, my new position has a high degree of visibility, but changing my customary wardrobe style is also a survival tactic because it is so cold here. I still honor the "Aloha Friday" tradition though, proudly sporting my palaka aloha and humming the tune "It's Aloha Friday, No Work Til Monday."

However, one custom I would not and cannot change because it is such a part of me now is answering the phone or addressing email with "Aloha." At first I was a bit tentative, being a new hire and wanting to be regarded as a impeccable professional. When it was time to send out my first widely read email correspondence, my fingers knew what to type--"Aloha Everyone."

After hitting return I was waiting for some sort of negative reaction, even from my manager, but instead received several private emails saying, "I love that you wrote Aloha, it brightened up my day" or "Are you from Hawaiʻi? Me too!" I have met a few local people because of my greeting and also when folks find out where I am from, they try and connect me with their co-workers that are from Hawaiʻi or have Hawaiʻi connections.

Another more subtle reaction is when I receive an email greeting me with "Aloha Liko." How cool!

Just today I sent out an email to faculty campus-wide and received a response from a member of the English department who is from Kāneʻohe, Oʻahu. Needless to say, we will be getting together soon to talk-story.

Aloha in the workplace can go a long way--in so many ways!

ʻO au iho nō,
Liko

3 comments:

  1. Aloha from Pahoa, Hawaii!

    Nice Start on a Blog!

    I posted this song on my blog a while back... thought you might like it since you just talked about it:

    http://damontucker.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/aloha-friday/

    Aloha,

    Damon Tucker
    Pahoa, Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo nui e Damon! I will be referring folks to your site so they can hear the song.

    How is beautiful Pahoa?

    Aloha,
    Liko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha e Liko

    I accidentally found this blog :-)
    You are a true ALOHA practitioner!

    Tomoko Hapili Spammusubi

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for leaving your manaʻo!